No more clones for hobbyist growers.....

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
MrCym

No more clones for hobbyist growers.....

Post by MrCym »

We've pretty much decided to stop cloning any Cyms with RHS registered names. The clonal pirates get their hands on these correctly named, outstanding selections and then clone the hell out of them. See them in a couple of reclonings and they're barely recognizable. Besides, half the thrill of orchid growing is in blooming a seedling.... which is unique, beautiful and YOURS!So we intend to still offer enthusiasts our usual highest quality Cyms in the full range apart from crosses deemed too valuable commercially and they will only be made available to our commercial growers on a royalty basis with a written agreement specifying that the actual parentage is not disclosed. It won't bother me if Sam sells such a Cym as "Yabba Dabba" and Susu sells it as "Golden Empire"!Anything to stick it up the bloody pirates is fine by NHO.

To be honest, we do the bulk of of our commercial business at the wholesale level now and these growers are happy to know they have a product exclusively for say 4-5 years whereupon they will move on to our next new introduction. I've got to the point now where I literally cannot recognize Earlisue 'Patty' 4n and it once was one of my favorite parents. That was of course, last Century!