Back in El Retiro!

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
MrCym

Back in El Retiro!

Post by MrCym »

……. but running on empty! These 16 hour flights are a bit of a battle. Turkish Airlines are the best, their Business is so good that it equals First Class in the old days of TWA. Unfortunately a 3 hour plus wait for my connecting flight added some pain.
Lots of pics and info from Holland. Ruiter Orchids had all the stud plants blooming but little else. Sales this year were off the chart. Some older Cym growers are selling out and freeing the equity in their nurseries so flower and pot Cyms are facing a very bright future. Phalaenopsis much less so, it’s about time they got their comeuppance!
Some young blood with new approaches to Cym culture and marketing!
Hope to post this weekend.
cricketerry

Re: Back in El Retiro!

Post by cricketerry »

It all sounds exciting and I am looking forward to seeing the posts.
Terry
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

We have extended the Bluehost site hosting for another year with thanks to Tony and the readers. If there's not a heap of posters, there are plenty of readers and from my viewpoint, that's what we're seeking.

Posting will likely be delayed till later this week as I have a heap of pollen and need to catch up with crossing and potting up plugs.I spread the message wherever I go: Cull boldly from flask to plugs to bigger plugs to 11.0 cm pots to 17.0 cm pots. I don't care if sometimes we bloom out olyn twenty of a cross so long as they are the best of the fastest. The interest in Holland and Turkey is exciting and we already have Australia and China onboard. Gradually we will reduce the hobby types but enthusiasts can be sure only the finest lines will be offered. For example, the Cym. devonianum 4n offspring have reached a state of excellence that almost makes them boring. I noticed our 4n devonianum is a mass of spikes but we may be storing rather than pollinating when they open.

I'm hotter on Keshab Pradhan hybrids than when I left!
CarlS

Post by CarlS »

Hi Andy,
"Better than TWA first class in the old days" ?? Turkish air must be something very different than others we've used. Not defending TWA just the state of current air travel. Rest up.
Sarah and Carl
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

They are! The onboard Chef is icing on the cake.
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

So Andy, did you order the Rib Eye Fillet - medium rare?
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Well Gary, you must be psychic, that's exactly what I had on the outbound! Eating was a bit difficult over the Atlantic that night, we ended up in three storms that had passed over the US and in total we endured just over four hours of moderate to severe turbulence. I'm not a nervous flyer at all but the thought of arriving with meat juice all over my shirt was daunting. I had to pass back water, wine and tea as I ran out of hands to keep the meal plates secure as well as the fluids. Once we turned right into the Mediterraneum everything smoothed out and lunch was a breeze.
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

Eyes everywhere Andy.