Information on French Odontoglossum breeding ?

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
wolfman

Information on French Odontoglossum breeding ?

Post by wolfman »

As all of you know I am a die-hard fan of classic Odontoglossum & Odontioda hybrids. Yes, most of them are tricky to grow and not WT, but it begins to work in my climate and location, and giving up is not really within my vocabulary.

While we are all more or less familiar with the English Odontoglossum scene (breeders, nurseries, history etc.) there has also existed a small, but equally flourishing and successful Odont. scene in France - Vacherot &
Lecoufle being their most prominent member, but there are / were others. I am trying to review & document the history of French Odontoglossum breeding, but cannot find any reasonable information about it anywhere.

Does anyone of you have some info that you could share with me, and / or know where to look and whom to ask ?

Many thanks for your help !

NB: To an even lesser extend this also applies to the early German Odont. community, but I know my way around that, so no action needed it that respect.
sabredance2

Re: Information on French Odontoglossum breeding ?

Post by sabredance2 »

As all of you know I am a die-hard fan of classic Odontoglossum & Odontioda hybrids
Being pedantic, but I wasn't aware.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Seriously, or is that a joke, Sabre ? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So, just to re-iterate for all who haven't realised so far: I am a die-hard fan of classic Odontoglossum species and Odontioda hybrids, but I also relish in what we today call "Oncidium intergenerics" and all things Oncidiinae (I believe there is a treasure trove of species that are little or not at all explored in the latter). Supply in general is the problem here in Australia, so I am more and more relying on importing flasks and bidding my time (the Devil and I have struck an agreement that he won't get me before I turn 90, after that it's free game - another 27 years to go, yay !). My benchmark is Gerald McCraith, I believe he moved on at 103 years of age (?) - would be OK for me as well.

My climate and growing conditions here in Eungella - at 950 m altitude and with a temperate cloud forest climate - are probably more suitable for the WT / temperate section of the above, as certain really cold Andean species (eg Odm. crispum, Cda. noetzeliana) always meet their maker no manner how hard I try. However, Odm. alexandrae miraculously works for whatever reason, as do some of its hybrids that I received from Clive Halls (I haven't tried Odm. nobile so far), as does Cochlioda sanguinea, and I am about to flower my first true classic, old-school Oda. hybrid created by Gerald - hybrid vigour seems to play a role here, even when hybridising with cold-climate species.

I wonder if Chase et al. (or anyone else) have done a very detailed DNA analysis of the "Odm. crispum complex" down to the variety level and below, as I am convinced there must be genetic differences between the different crispum varieties - they look (sometimes very) different, they grow in different locations, and I suspect due to the different locations they have different pollinators. Whether that would justify to view them as different species, or varieties, or forms, remains to be seen & is not my prime concern - does anyone have any info and / or data on this ?
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Xavier at Select Orchids would be the only active commercial orchidist who could speak about these lines.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Thanks Andy, I'll contact him. Vacherot & Lecoufle seemed to have dabbled in a few Odont.s as well, so I contact them too.
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

The present family sell cloned pot plants and have minimal knowledge or interest. I gave you the name of the only person with knowledge of French Odont hybridization
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Thanks, Andy ! Do you also have a contact who could tell me more about the early Belgian orchid scene (I believe Vuylsteke was Belgian, correct ?) ?
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Yes, Vuylsteke was indeed a Belgian Odont leader. The authoritative Belgian currently is Guido Deburghgraeve at guidodeburghgraeve@belgacom.net
He has the putative species Odm. deburghgraeveanum named for him.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Thanks Andy, I’ll start digging …