Teipels Waiendkind

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
pauleyboy

Teipels Waiendkind

Post by pauleyboy »

Hi guys, I have one of Peter Teipel's Odonts which I treasure. The plant flowered in January and has now thrown up another spike. I can remember growing these plants in the 70s and I used to get them to flower every 9 months or so. Does anyone else see this habit?
SARC

Re: Teipels Waiendkind

Post by SARC »

Mr Cym would be best to comment on pure Odont, but I can speak for intergenerics. I find it depends on the parentage, some are very seasonal and specifically flower on a certain month or season, Oncidium Twinkle being one. So for those it's a 12 month cycle to re flower. Others will be flowering as they punch their next growths, so follow up flowerings may only be a few months apart. For example Aka Baby will flower on the old bulb and then a few months later on the new growth. Even some of the new Brassia selections are bulb/flower/growth and are cycling into new spikes faster than the old Brassia verrucosa that was a season every 12 month flowering.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

The name is "Teipel's Waisenkind"; Waisenkind translates to orphan. Peter Teipel is one of the few in Germany who creates wonderful Odm.s and Oda.s.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Rolf Panczak and Norbert Dank are another two serious hobbyists infected by the Odontoglossum virus…

Have a look for their pic.s on Flickr - good stuff !
pauleyboy

Post by pauleyboy »

Sorry to have misspelt the name. My plant label is correct so it was a typo and I'm to blame.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

No worries - German is a shite language....