Top story addition at Bos Orchids

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
Australis

Re: Top story addition at Bos Orchids

Post by Australis »

MrCym wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:46 am But a little tip for an enthusiast who finds a large plant suddenly expressing clear viral symptoms from say a dirty pot or an unsterilized wire stake. In my scientific experience, viruses don’t seem to go backwards. On the rare occasion where l spot a recent infection, l can almost guarantee the oldest bulb(s) are clean! Now, you have to flame your cutting shears or dip them in a 20% solution of Sodium Hypochlorite with every cut but the effort is usually rewarded with a totally clean restart!
Respectfully, you are mistaken in this case. ORSV, CymMV and OFV all become systemic in Cymbidiums between 7 and 24 months (at the most), so they most definitely do go "backwards" through the plant.

Now, you might only see symptoms on the newest growths (particularly in the case of OFV and by that point it's often systemic), but there is no guarantee that the oldest bulbs (despite a lack of symptoms) are not already infected with a low level of virus. If you manage to catch the infection before it becomes systemic, then yes, you could theoretically save the uninfected part of the plant. But you'd need to test it, isolate it, and then re-test at 12 and 24 months to be certain you were successful.

As I said before, all three viruses can be asyptomatic in good culture. It is when the plant is stressed in some way that the symptoms then show up. By this point, it is almost certainly too late and the infection is systemic.
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Well we surely disagree! I’d want to see research supporting some of your comments…. The best Dutch virologist Mr Haakart told me in 1973 that he could find virus in any orchid when given enough time to look on the electron microscope. With respect, l was studying orchid viruses before you were born and l stand by my comments. I am not talking about a plant that has suffered a setback but one that has three strong growths and the one showing clear viral symptoms was closest to a wire stake supporting a developing spike.
Australis

Post by Australis »

I cite all my sources for my research on my article about orchid viruses:
https://www.cosv.com.au/orchid-viruses

Please let me know if any of the links don't work.
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Please direct me to the research which suggests that a virus infection visible in only the new growth of a hitherto symptomless plant, can become systemic within 7 months.
Australis

Post by Australis »

MrCym wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:50 pm Please direct me to the research which suggests that a virus infection visible in only the new growth of a hitherto symptomless plant, can become systemic within 7 months.
I'm not going to do all your research for you (I've already provided a handy list of links to relevant papers in my article's reference section), but here are two in particular:

Inouye, N., 1966, cited the example of a Cym infected with ORSV that was asymptomatic except for some colour breaking in blooms (note that this is an uncommon occurence in Cyms and not a good indicator, as plants may skip a year especially after repotting/dividing in the average hobbyist's collection). The new growth was symptomatic. It was already systemic at this point.

Hu, I.S., 1994. notes that ORSV can become systemic in 7 months (and CymMV in a matter of weeks for Dendrobiums!). Note that this is the lower bound (i.e. it takes longer in most cases) and I mentioned that there is a range of up to 2 years (3 if you're looking at Cattleyas).

Links are in my article.

The point is that you cannot guarantee that the asymptomatic part of the plant does not possess a detectable level of virus. Any attempt to salvage a piece should be treated as I said - test, isolate and re-test in future.
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

I don’t need anyone to do my research! A Dendrobium is not a Cymbidium.