Gary, I have a question.......

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
MrCym

Gary, I have a question.......

Post by MrCym »

You will have to be my technical expert... I thought I knew a little about Eucalyptus trees but the ones in El Retiro have got me thinking. I know young Eucalyptus trees are used to make the finest quality glossy paper but the straightness of the trunks of some local trees have got me wondering. Several of these very tall trees had to be felled last week to make an entranceway. A mobile sawmill produced an end product but the Eucalyptus trees in NZ were never straight and tall like these. Could they be a specific species or does the tree grow differently in our moist, sub-tropical climate? I will try and get a picture tomorrow and forward it to you.
SARC

Re: Gary, I have a question.......

Post by SARC »

Is Gary an arborist? Do you know which species the trees were? Photos of remaining trees in situ, leaves and gumnuts will help identification.

The bulk of the paper pulp comes from Tasmanian Blue Gum (Eucalyptus globulus subsp globulus) but the industry maybe using hybrids these days. Euc. globulus used to have four subspecies but they are now individually recognised, one from Tasmania (globulus) and the other three in Victoria and NSW (maidenii, pseudoglobulus and bicostata). This is also the species that has invaded northern California and thrives in the perfect climate with no natural pests or diseases.

Species can vary in their growth and habit overseas, as Euc. robusta in Hawaii is a big tree compared to Australian specimens. I know quite a few species were used in South America for forestry and that's where they found out (Brazil, on Eucalyptus grandis, by Joffily in 1944) that Guava Rust(Puccinia psidii) loves them.
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

Andy, SARC has summed it up well, there are over 1000 species of Eucalyptus, of all shapes and sizes. You will be happy to know that the Botanists have been at play here as well, many species have been renamed and are not Eucalyptus any more.

Most of the trees felled today from old forests are still for hardwood, but some are chipped and exported to Asia.

The Tassie Blue Gum are very tall and straight trees and quick growing, a lot grown in Tasmania end up as woodchip for export. There is one paper mill in Australia down near Albury in southern NSW, but its raw material is from the pine forests down that way - which are all planted and not natural.
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

Many are now called Corymbia, with about 8 other names as well.
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Thanks guys! Fascinating. I will get some pics.

An interesting orchid link.... Bob Nicolle was Merv Dunn´s partner in crime in the good old Valley Orchid con days. His son was an upright fellow who studied Eucalypts for his University thesis. Sounds like he would have been busy! Anyway he met a young lady and wed. They drove on their honeymoon and in the evening, nature called and he had to urinate. He stopped by the side of the road and whilst urinating, he discovered the recipient vegetation to be a hitherto unknown prostrate form of the genus! How´s that for a honeymoon coincidence. I believe it took his name as a new species!
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

Well Andy, here is a link for you by his son Dean, who is the foremost expert on the Genus now it seems.

https://dn.com.au/Classification-Of-The-Eucalypts.pdf
sabredance2

Post by sabredance2 »

If you have Eucalypts in Colombia, then we should send a few of these over - nearly stepped on this fellow walking the dog. Explains why he has scuttled to a Pine tree.
Attachments
Koala.jpg
Gary S

Post by Gary S »

He (or she) looks nice and healthy as well.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

It's a SHE.