They´re coming......

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
MrCym

They´re coming......

Post by MrCym »

In the next lot of flasks being shipped to our agents will be several examples of 6n´s crossed with diploids. The one that is hardest to predict will be Wimber Day 6n X Cym. devonianum´El Retiro´2n. OK, they´re growing like weeds so no issues on that score. But as the hybridizer pushing the envelope, I will share the questions running through my mind. How WT will the seedlings be? My guess is that they will be able to handle a bit of heat. Wimber Day is solidly WT and Cym. devonianum blooms late in seasonal climates, as the days have started to warm up. How about the inflorescence? Methinks pretty much upright but with the killer devonianum lips on full display. I´ve been wanting to breed an upright spiked plant with lots of devonianum character for some time so this surely will be a leap forward.

The other crosses in the upcoming shipment are not specifically aimed at WT qualities at all. Using the hexaploid Mario Lanza, I am seeking a smallish intermediate, pink coloration (Yai is right there as a parent) and lots of spikes. Potentially something both commercially useful and pleasing to an enthusiast as well. Again, being tetraploid, selections from these crosses must be useful future parents.

And remember, only New Horizon had the forethought to embark on these totally new hybridizing avenues...........
sabredance2

Re: They´re coming......

Post by sabredance2 »

Andy, you were at the forefront many moons ago when the tetraploids first emerged. Do you have a sense of deja vu?
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

No! More nervous this time as the genetics are a bit more complicated. But I was nervous about the Keshab Pradhan line until they started blooming so I suppose an excess of caution is the wisest position until we see the flowers.
Murph

Post by Murph »

The fun and essence of being a plant hybridiser!

It all keeps it interesting, let’s see what comes out.