Oda Oedipus

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
pauleyboy

Oda Oedipus

Post by pauleyboy »

Hear's a question for you Odont. growers. I recently purchased a plant of Oedipus that only had a single bloom but it was far larger (110mm) across) than another example that had a full spike. Do you think removing all but one flower bud produced bigger a flower as they do with Dahlia? Here is a comparison photograph.
Attachments
oedipus.jpg
MrCym

Re: Oda Oedipus

Post by MrCym »

Yes but as Odonts are evaluated by the spray too, it defeats the effort!
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

I agree with Andy, Paul - even if flowers might be a little smaller it is a delight to see them lined up on a spray - 50 % of the pie with Odont.s. IMHO.

If you want single, big & bold blooms, have a look at Hillview Gardens complex paph.s - they are some of the world’s best, absolutely to die for, and even superior to Ratcliffe’s hybrids when they ruled the Paph. world
pauleyboy

Post by pauleyboy »

Actually I purchase another Oedipus as well as the single flowered one. I subsequently repotted and divided the single and made two new plants both with growths plus a pot with a couple of back bulbs. Here is a photo of the multi flowered one. I take no credit for this plant. I'll get back to you guys in a year from now.
Attachments
IMG_0652 copy.jpeg
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Nice flower but l don’t see any registration for Oedipus??
cricketerry

Post by cricketerry »

MrCym wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:38 pm Nice flower but l don’t see any registration for Oedipus??
It's a Bob Hamilton hybrid. Saint Joe x Joe's Drum. If you're looking in Orchidwiz it may have been registered too late for their last update. Registered December 2022.
Terry
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Thanks Terry, I greatly miss OrchidWiz!
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

One can easily find this wonderful hybrid in www.orchidroots.com - my favourite place to go. Please have a look at https://orchidroots.com/detail/informat ... 3439&role=

Simples....

Cheers to all, Florian