Cym. (Rosefieldense X erythrostylum 'Royale')

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
Australis

Re: Cym. (Rosefieldense X erythrostylum 'Royale')

Post by Australis »

Indeed, Andy. The recent flowerings of Werewolf of London and this plant have really demonstrated to me just how much erythrostylum can influence the shape - it seems tracyanum is easily overridden.
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Yes, W of L is 4n but I am yet to see one bloom that is not larger in the vertical measurement. Why I find this amazing is that classic shape in say white standards will inevitably show a lot of Cym. erythrostylum ancestry. Maybe the Cym. eburneum influence in both Fred Stewart and Stanley Fouraker was the balancing species?
Australis

Post by Australis »

The one example of Niveum I've seen did suggest that eburneum could partially override the shape of erythrostylum. I suspect that the influence is diluted once you get to the F2. The other thing I suspect is that the erythrostylum shape would have been rapidly selected out by hybridisers, even if it was a large percentage of the genetic contribution.
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Hell, it's 16% influence as recorded and as we know Edward Marshall was not the parent of Early Bird, so probably higher still. Let's say 20% +, a significant shaper of the flower I suspect!
Australis

Post by Australis »

Second blooming of this plant. Either the Spring flowering last year was off-season due to it being the first flowering, or our mild summer has messed it up this time.

Essentially it looks like a large, ivory erythrostylum with fine hairs around the callus ridges and a light scent.
Attachments
(Rosefieldense X erythrostylum 'Royale') (2).jpg
(Rosefieldense X erythrostylum 'Royale') (1).jpg
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Why is it unethical to sell orchids under trade names to hobbyists & enthusiasts ?

As long as I know (!) what I am getting into & and still like the plant I am perfectly fine with it. And as Bob has recently demonstrated you can still breed & register new Odont hybrids using “trade name” parentage.

Please explain, Andy !

And for our Australian friends: no, I am not a fan of the fish & chips girl in parliament, but the phrase is legendary and has become part of our lingo….
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Well I believe that genuine hobbyists/true enthusiasts should be encouraged to source accurately labelled stock. If a plant was labelled " Red Stranger" for example, then it should be understood by all that a trade name was being utilized and such a name would not be registered by say the RHS. What the other registration sources accept is up to them. If our royalty customers sell trade named product to prevent pirating by dishonest traders, all power to them. Or if they sell without a label, that is their prerogative.