Odontoglossum pulchellum

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
pauleyboy

Odontoglossum pulchellum

Post by pauleyboy »

I was given a pod of this species back in May 2022 and I sowed the seed immediately. I've took this photo a few minutes ago just to demonstate how quickly they grow. I love the tiny pseudobulbs.
I believe that the name has changed. I've labelled them Cuitlauziana pulchella.
Attachments
IMG_0832 copy.jpeg
cricketerry

Re: Odontoglossum pulchellum

Post by cricketerry »

What excellent work Paul and they all look so healthy. You don't often hear that orchid seedlings are growing quickly. You are almost correct with the new name it is Cuitlauzina.
Terry
richardb

Post by richardb »

Naah! Terry. They are and always will be Odontoglossum pulchellum. Either way they do look excellent, but that is no reason to give in to the name changers.
cricketerry

Post by cricketerry »

richardb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:58 am Naah! Terry. They are and always will be Odontoglossum pulchellum. Either way they do look excellent, but that is no reason to give in to the name changers.
I agree with you Richard.
Terry
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Chase is disgraced but his meddling needs to be fired, like him!
pauleyboy

Post by pauleyboy »

I'll change the label.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Chase might be disgraced, but left a number of “black eyes” for the orchid community to deal with. The problem is that a well-working taxonomic system founded on centuries of botanical & taxonomical work has been thrown into complete disarray by a few guys who thought “DNA is everything” - but in reality it is just one facette of a taxonomic picture.

What has to be done now is “the hard yard” - each & every genus has to be revisited & taxonomically reworked, as it is scientifically impossible to just ignore & annihilate Chase et al.s work. What has do be done amounts to “turning the clock back by moving forward”.

Personally - despite having worked with all kinds of DNA for almost 40 years & being a strong supporter of molecular taxonomy - I am just ignoring all changes to the extent possible and am writing old-fashioned names on old school-labels….🙂🙃🙂