Santa Barbara Show in retrospect!

This is the New Horizon Orchids Public Forum.
MrCym

Santa Barbara Show in retrospect!

Post by MrCym »

Well l’m back in Santa Barbara with barely enough energy to lift a used backbulb.
From the public’s viewpoint, a marvelous display. Lauris Rose might have been a little flat when we sat for a chat on Monday but she had found hidden energy reserves that even she was unaware of! James was the same as always, his back hurt, he looked beat but he had put together the best display in the show yet again. The new Show Manager did great with successful new ideas and an ease in dealing with the under 40’s.
AOS judging was disgraceful, if Arthur Pinkers was the person in charge, he needs to take a hike. Nobody should ever have to deal with ignorant orchidists like “Dumb Donna” but a competent chair would have had her euchred! The unbelievable usurpation of a disbanded Cymbidium Society “judging”, presumably by ignorant AOS personel was simply shocking.
Thanks to the stalwarts, the show made money and will be back, even stronger, in 2025. Nothing else like it in the USA, John Rowe would be proud.
The John Rowe Memorial Award ran very smoothly with local and international experts. No plants not seen, no cheating and a very close result. Joe Santy’s Cym
Redondo Sunset ‘Goliath’ was a deserving winner. My pleasure is in assisting the five judges, l can never judge myself because too many Cyms have New Horizon ancestry.
Got to catch up with Takehiko Mukoyama and Susumu Furuya too. "Take" was a little unwell during the trip but we had not crossed paths for years so we had fun.
Roll on 2025!
sabredance2

Re: Santa Barbara Show in retrospect!

Post by sabredance2 »

Andy, thankyou for the review. How encouraging to read about a successful event, especially with the obvious challenges the organisers have had to negotiate in this era. Very uplifting. Lauris must be a treasure, she undoubtedly goes above and beyond.
Now the burning question, how did you fare after the Yoga class?
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

Well....... I am walking a bit awkwardly but only because I tripped on some carpet at Casa Rowe and fell down. Apart from a black eye and a pool of blood, I'm very chipper now and enjoyed being back among the plants today!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Something or someone tripped you?
Mr Cym at our age we MUST be careful.
No one would miss me. But YOU have a so many disciples eager to learn. DO BE CAREFUL.
sabredance2

Post by sabredance2 »

No one would miss me
Nigel, you underestimate yourself. Who else can we pick on?
MrCym

Post by MrCym »

I’m more worried about Dumb Donna in AOS judging than l am of tripping in my size 13 shoes!